Jaap van 't Veen's photos with the keyword: gemeente Sluis

Nederland - Groede, Grote Kerk

29 Apr 2014 36 19 1860
The ‘Grote Kerk’ (Big Church) in Groede was built mid 13th century and belongs to the Flemish Hall Churches. The dating and architecture of the building refers to the former unity of Zeelandic and Flemish Flanders. From the beginning of the 14th century many of this kind of churches were built along the Flemish coast. The church in Groede has a remarkable octagonal tower. Because Groede was flooded from 1583-1613 the church suffered a lot. In 1619 the choir was restored and further recovery followed from about ten years later. From 1618 the south aisle served almost two centuries as Walloon church; around 1685 this part of the church was separated from the rest. In 1868 the ‘Grote Kerk’ was substantially rebuilt and completely plastered on the outside. During World War II Groede was spared from bombardments as it became a ‘red cross village’ by painting a huge red cross on the tower of the church. In 1970 the church was completely restored and plaster was removed. The building fell into a very bad condition and in 2010 a new restoration was necessary. Since then the name of the church has been changed into ‘Grote Kerk’. Nowadays it is used again for services, but also for art exhibitions and other events.

Nederland - Sluis, ‘De Brak’

21 Apr 2014 96 37 2660
In the Middle Ages Sluis - a walled city - had a dozen mills. The only remaining windmill is‘De Brak’, named after a French breed 'Braque', a hunting dog always running with his nose in the wind. The mill was built in 1739 and was the first in the region made of stone. The upper part of the smock mill can be put into the direction of the wind, which is called ‘kruien’ by the miller. From the stage one has a magnificent view over the city, the ramparts and further afield. During World War II ‘De Brak’ was severely damaged; in 1950 began the reconstruction. The mill is now working as ever and is still used for grinding grain, which can be purchased in the mill store. ‘De Brak’ - located in the heart of Sluis - can be visited. More info (Dutch): www.molendatabase.nl/nederland/molen.php?nummer=917

Nederland - Nieuwvliet-Bad

10 Apr 2014 97 42 3477
Wooden breakwater at the beach of Nieuwvliet-Bad, nearby beach pavilion De Boekanier. This kind of breakwaters is quite common along the coast of Zealand and Zeelandic Flanders. They are constructed to absorb the energy of the waves, intended to prevent the erosion of sand along the coast. Usually they stand perpendicular to the dunes. In Zealand they are already used for hundreds of years.

Nederland - Sluis, Parmabrug

03 Apr 2014 123 54 3465
The ‘Parmabrug’ is a wooden drawbridge for pedestrians and cyclists across the canal between Sluis and Bruges in Belgium. The bridge is located just outside Sluis, 150 metres from the Belgian border. The canal is better known as ‘Damse Vaart’ or ‘Napoleonskanaal’. The canal was dug by Spanish war prisoners between 1812 and 1814 t on the orders of Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon wanted to create a connection between Bruges and the Western Scheldt and the North Sea along Sluis to Breskens. It should be used for military transports. After the defeat of Napoleon in 1815 the canal was never finished and stopped nearby the bridge; in 1854 it was extended to the centre of Sluis and two years later the canal opened to traffic. Nowadays the canal is used by pleasure boats.

Nederland - Cadzand, 'Nooit Gedacht'

31 Mar 2014 96 41 2740
Approaching Cadzand one can not miss its windmill ‘Nooit Gedacht’ (English: have never thought) in the flat landscape of the most western part Zeelandic Flanders, as it is a so called ’beltmolen’. A ‘belt’ is a man made hill. ‘Nooit Gedacht’ is - as often mills do - visually dominating the scenery. An older mill - de Kat - on the same spot burned down in 1897 and already one year later the present mill was built. During the liberation of Zeelandic Flanders in World War II the mill had severe damage. In 1974 the inhabitants of Cadzand were alarmed by a huge fire in the mill (in the meantime used as restaurant and bar). But again the mill was restored and opened again May 1977. Since that moment it is used again as a flour mill. ‘Nooit Gedacht’ is open for public on Sunday afternoon and during summer season also on Wednesday afternoon. More info (Dutch): www.molendatabase.nl/nederland/molen.php?nummer=868

Nederland - kerk van Sint Anna ter Muiden

15 Mar 2014 60 32 2290
The church of Sint Anna ter Muiden has a long and checkered history. The massive tower - dating back to the 14th century - is the only building still showing the former glory of the city. It is the only (Flemish polder) tower built in the style of the Scheldt Gothic in the Netherlands. The church tower was also used as a lighthouse when the town had an important harbour in the 14th century. The church was probably originally a cruciform church. The building was partially destroyed by English soldiers. After the Eighty Years War the church was completely destructed and the tower is the only remnant of the originally church. In 1653 the current Dutch Reformed church was built on the south side against the stubby tower. The church was dedicated to the grandmother of Jesus, St. Anna. Mude - as the city was called - was in the Middle Ages even a place of pilgrimage to the Holy Anna.

Nederland - Sint Anna ter Muiden

13 Mar 2014 35 24 2318
Sint Anna ter Muiden is the westernmost town of the Netherlands, located about 1 km west of Sluis (province of Zeeland), almost on the border with Belgium. Nowadays it has a population of about 50 people and therefore it is the second smallest city in the country. Orginally known as ‘Ter Muiden’ or ‘Mude’, named after ‘at the mouth’ (mude) of the river Zwin (‘Sint Anna’ was added in the 17th century to differentiate it from another ‘Muiden’ in the Netherlands). Before the ascent of Sluis, Mude was the main harbour of Bruges. The city came to existence around 1200 and it was granted city rights in 1242 by the counts of Flanders and became member of the Flemish Hansa. Silting of the river Zwin left ‘Mude’ landlocked and all went downhill in ‘Sint Anna ter Muiden’. Early 15th century the city was plundered by English soldiers, who only spared the church. The impressive church tower is the only remaining witness of the turbulent history of Muyden. This tower dates back to the 14th century and even survived the 80-years war between Spain and the Northern Netherlands. Most houses and the city hall along the picturesque market square are built in the 17th century. The square has a large city pump, which dates back to 1789 and is in Louis XIV-style, displaying the coat of arms of Sint Anna ter Muiden, containing a striking anchor, recalling the former maritime links of the city.