Jaap van 't Veen's photos with the keyword: dutch city

Nederland - Bronkhorst

08 Apr 2014 82 31 2822
Bronkhorst originated around the year 1000 - and probably even earlier in the 7th century - as a fortified farming settlement. The adjacent castle was the ancestral home of the Lords of Bronckhorst, one of the most important noble families in Gelderland. Bronkhorst used to be a lordship. The earliest known lord of Bronkhorst was "Gijsbert van Bronkhorst", who was first mentioned in 1127. He and some of his descendants played an important role in the politics of the time. The origin of Bronkhorst Castle is a motte-and-bailey castle from the 10th century: a simple wooden fortress on an artificial hill. The later castle of Bronkhorst stood on the aforementioned hill next to the town and was first mentioned in the 14th century. It was sieged several times, most notably in 1582 - during the Eighty Years War - when after nine months Dutch troops captured the castle, which was occupied by the Spanish. The castle changed hands many times, until its last owner, a merchant, had it demolished in 1828. A country house was built on the remains, which in turn was demolished in 1904. Bronkhorst has always remained tiny. Like many towns in the county, the buildings mostly consisted of loose farms. Nevertheless, in 1482 it was granted town rights by "Gijsbert VII van Bronckhorst". In 1633, a devastating fire destroyed most of the medieval buildings. What remains is a small part of the town canal and the chapel from 1344. Because of its open character and original street plan, Bronkhorst still has a very authentic atmosphere. The small village of Bronkhorst has no less than 38 national monuments, including several city farms, the Bronkhorstermolen , the Bronkhorsterkapel and a Jewish cemetery. Along the cobble stoned streets one will find some art galleries and shops, two restaurants and a hotel. Although Bronkhorst is known as the smallest town in the Netherlands, it is not. With a population of around 160 inhabitants, it comes after Staverden , Eembrugge and Sint Anna ter Muiden . Picture: 'Onderstraat', one of the 'main' streets in Bronkhorst.

Nederland - Groningen, Martinitoren en kerk

05 Mar 2014 24 17 2132
The 'Martinitoren' is with its height of 97 metres the most well known and remarkable landmark of the city of Groningen. Originally the church (Martinikerk) had an indoor tower, but after it collapsed a new tower was built (between 1470 and 1550) west of the main church. The inhabitants of Groningen call it ‘d'Olle Grieze’ (Old Grey One) after the colour of the bricks. The 'Martinikerk' got its name from Sint Martinus or Sint Maarten (Saint Martin) and still some murals of him as well as others can be seen in the choir of the church. These beautiful paintings are dating back to the year of 1545. The ceiling has a warm blue colour. The nave of the church is really impressive and has one of the biggest baroque organs in northern Europe. The construction of this organ started already in 1480 and was finished in the 19th century.