Jaap van 't Veen's photos with the keyword: Baarn

Nederland - Paleis Soestdijk

24 Dec 2013 48 25 2036
Jacob de Graeff, mayor of Amsterdam, built around 1650 a countryhouse along a road - ‘Zoesdijc’ - between the villages of Baarn and Soest, which was called ‘Hofstede aen Zoestdijck’. Stadholder William III bought the manor in 1674 and used it as a hunting lodge. Many members of the family of Orange-Nassau lived in ‘Soestdijk Palace’ till 1795 during the French invasion, when it was seized as a spoil of war. The building then was used by French soldiers. In 1815 the Prince of Orange, later King Willem II, was presented ‘Soestdijk Palace’, in recognition of his services at the Battle of Waterloo. The palace was expanded by adding two wings, the northern or ‘Baarn-wing’ and the southern or ‘Soest-wing’. Many years the palace was only used as summer home by members of the Dutch royal family. After the investiture of Queen Wilhelmina ‘Soestdijk Palace’ was regularly used again. Her mother, Queen Emma, used the palace as a summer home until her death in 1934. After her death the palace was renovated so that Princess Juliana and Prince Bernhard could make it their home after their marriage in 1937. ‘Soestdijk Palace’ became in 1948 their official residence until both of their deaths in 2004. Pending a decision about its future use, ‘Soestdijk Palace’ is a kind of a museum and it is possible to visit the building and the surrounding gardens.