Jaap van 't Veen's photos with the keyword: windmühle

Nederland - Streefkerk

26 Sep 2015 97 60 2519
Dutch polder landscape in the Alblasserwaard with a couple of windmills. Picture taken along the Tiendweg nearby Streefkerk.

Nederland – Kinderdijk

15 Sep 2015 203 103 3357
Five of the nineteen windmills in the so called Nederwaard. The famous mills at Kinderdijk were built between 1738 and 1740, to keep water out of the polder. It is the largest concentration of windmills in the Netherlands.

Nederland - Vorden, Lindesche Molen

26 Mar 2015 117 64 3090
The ‘Lindesche Molen’ (also called ‘Molen Ons Belang’) is an octagonal ‘belt mill’. The ‘belt (= a man made hill) for this mill has a height of 4.20 metres. These ‘belts’ were made in order to provide more wind for the mill. The present mill was built in 1890 on the site of an even older mill (1856), which burned down. The mill wasn’t used for many many years. In the year of 1971 it was restored and the sails could turn again. Twenty years later mill stones were placed and the mill was ready for grinding flour again. The ‘Lindesche Molen’ is situated in the hamlet Linde, nearby the town of Vorden and along the ‘Achtkastelen route’ (Eight Castles route); a bike route along eight castles/mansions.

Nederland - Kinderdijk

05 Jan 2015 111 64 3635
Ice skating along the windmills of Kinderdijk during a real Dutch winter. (picture taken with a Rollei Prego 90 > scanned)

Nederland - Gouda, Molen ’t Slot

18 Dec 2014 76 32 2695
The Molen ‘t Slot (Mill on the Castle) is situated near the old town centre of Gouda and along the river Holland IJssel. The mill stands proudly on his spot since the year of 1832, replacing an earlier octagonal mill which was destroyed in 1831 by fire. It is however the third mill at this spot. The history goes even further back. The first mill was built (1581) on the foundations of a castle. The name ‘t Slot refers to the castle of the 'Heeren van ter Gouw', which was demolished in1577. Flour mill 't Slot is a so called smock mill. A smock mill is a type of windmill that consists of a sloping, horizontally weather boarded tower. It is topped with a cap that rotates to bring the sails into the wind. The mill is open for visitors when the sails are turning.

Nederland - Apeldoorn, Wenumse Enk

04 Dec 2014 86 41 3851
Wenum is more of a hamlet, coming into being on a east-west ridge of sand. The landscape around Wenum is characterized by streams, fields and meadows close to each other. This small scale landscape changes gradually eastwards into an open agricultural landscape. Characteristic is the Wenumse Enk ('upland field’), a large spherical open field on the sand ridge. Landmark of this Enk is the windmill ‘Oranjemolen’, also called ‘t Haasje’ (PiP).

Nederland - Terwolde, ‘De Ooievaar’

16 May 2014 63 24 4000
The current mill is the third one at this place. The first mill was a so called ‘grondzeiler’ with wings which came about two feet above the ground. The mill was built in 1854.by Abraham Ledeboer. Five years later the mill was sold to family Dieperink. In 1896 the original mill was destroyed by fire. The second mill was a thatched stage mill and was used by the same family till the year of 1948, when it was bought by family Vorderman, well known millers in the region. In 1967, still in operation, the mill was restored for the first time. Four years later the mill was destroyed again by fire. A local foundation took the initiative for rebuilding the windmill in Terwolde, 100 meters to the west of the old mill site. For the reconstruction the octagonal buck from the ‘Holtermansmolen’ from Deventer (most probably built in 1640 as a polder mill) was used. In 1990 the reconstruction of ‘De Ooievaar’ (the Stork) was completed . Since then it houses one of the seven remaining operational flour mills in the Netherlands. But on 31 August 2015 the mill burned down again. Eearly May 2018- after the reconstruction - 'De Ooievaar' was opened to the public again.

Nederland - Sluis, ‘De Brak’

21 Apr 2014 96 37 2656
In the Middle Ages Sluis - a walled city - had a dozen mills. The only remaining windmill is‘De Brak’, named after a French breed 'Braque', a hunting dog always running with his nose in the wind. The mill was built in 1739 and was the first in the region made of stone. The upper part of the smock mill can be put into the direction of the wind, which is called ‘kruien’ by the miller. From the stage one has a magnificent view over the city, the ramparts and further afield. During World War II ‘De Brak’ was severely damaged; in 1950 began the reconstruction. The mill is now working as ever and is still used for grinding grain, which can be purchased in the mill store. ‘De Brak’ - located in the heart of Sluis - can be visited. More info (Dutch): www.molendatabase.nl/nederland/molen.php?nummer=917

Nederland - Cadzand, 'Nooit Gedacht'

31 Mar 2014 96 41 2737
Approaching Cadzand one can not miss its windmill ‘Nooit Gedacht’ (English: have never thought) in the flat landscape of the most western part Zeelandic Flanders, as it is a so called ’beltmolen’. A ‘belt’ is a man made hill. ‘Nooit Gedacht’ is - as often mills do - visually dominating the scenery. An older mill - de Kat - on the same spot burned down in 1897 and already one year later the present mill was built. During the liberation of Zeelandic Flanders in World War II the mill had severe damage. In 1974 the inhabitants of Cadzand were alarmed by a huge fire in the mill (in the meantime used as restaurant and bar). But again the mill was restored and opened again May 1977. Since that moment it is used again as a flour mill. ‘Nooit Gedacht’ is open for public on Sunday afternoon and during summer season also on Wednesday afternoon. More info (Dutch): www.molendatabase.nl/nederland/molen.php?nummer=868

Nederland - Nijetrijne, De Rietvink

03 Mar 2014 78 35 2733
The province of Friesland in the Netherlands had till about 1850 more than 2.400 of windmills. There are only 124 left; most of them go back to the years between 1850 and 1900. Modern technology and machines has made them redundant. One of the most beautiful located polder draining mills is ‘De Rietvink’ on the banks of the ‘Jonker (or Helema) Vaart’ and at the edge of a nature area and former peat extraction area the ‘Rottige Meente’. The ‘Rietvink’ is an octagonal smock mill and was built in 1855. It served until 1964 as a polder draining mill, when it became a holiday home. The mill was restored in 2009/2010 and since June of that year ‘De Rietvink’ can be used again. The mill is open for visitors and has a lovely teagarden. Next to the mill lies an old lock to the river ‘De Scheene’.

Nederland - Hattem, De Fortuin

24 Jan 2014 42 19 2771
Hattem - a small, but old, city on the Veluwe - has had its own flour mill ever since the Middle Ages, which was very important. Whenever a city in former ages was besieged, the food supply was not supposed to be at risk. ‘De Fortuin’ (The Fortune) was (and is) located within the city walls of Hattem ‘De Fortuin’ is a so called smock mill. In 1808 the mill was blown down by a severe storm and most probably rebuilt in 1816. In 1852, according to a plaque above the entrance door, it became its brick base. In the 20th century the mill was out of use for many years. In 1970/71 it was completely restored and nowadays it is used again for grinding wheat and can be visited on Saturdays. More info (Dutch): www.molendefortuin.nl

Nederland - Harderwijk, De Hoop

15 Dec 2013 80 29 2854
The history of the ‘De Hoop Mill’ in Harderwijk can be traced back to 1621, when the first mill was built. The original mill, located at a different location, burned down in 1969. The restoration - on its present location at the old ‘Vissershaven’ (Fishermen’s harbour) - started in 1992, when an old mill structure was purchased from the eastern town of Oldenzaal. This mill originally came from Weesp and was built in 1773. ‘De Hoop’ (the Hope) was rebuilt and the wings turned again in the year of 1998. A year later the mill was officially reopened and is now open for visitors. More info (Dutch): www.harderwijksemolen.nl

Nederland - Woudrichem, "Nooit Gedagt"

15 Nov 2013 90 21 2868
Flour mill "Nooit Gedagt" is standing on one of the bastions of the fortress of Woudrichem. Originally the mill was built in the year of 1682 and was destroyed during World War II. "Nooit Gedagt" was rebuilt and reopened in 1996. Woudrichem itself is one of the official eleven Dutch fortress towns and its name ‘Walrichsheim' was already found in the year of 866. It became known as Woudrichem as from 1290, and could already be considered a town at that time, having a sheriff, aldermen and a council. It became city rights in 1356. For another view of the same windmill: www.ipernity.com/doc/327263/28234661/in/group/100944

Nederland - Pieterburen, 'De Vier Winden'

29 Oct 2013 42 17 2633
The present windmill 'De Vier Winden' (The Four Winds) is dating back to 1846. The mill is still used as a flour mill, but nowadays operated by volunteers.

Nederland - Zaanse Schans

03 Oct 2013 65 17 2747
Zaanse Schans: some of the windmills along the Zaan. See for more info: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaanse_Schans

Nederland - Eenrum, De Lelie

22 Aug 2013 27 11 2148
Windmolen De Lelie’ (windmill the Lily), dates back to 1862. It is a so called smock mill. More info about the mill (Dutch): www.molendatabase.nl/nederland/molen.php?nummer=317

Nederland - Woudsend, De Jager

06 Aug 2013 96 20 3097
Sawmill (houtzaagmolen) De Jager is a typical Frisian mill, built most probably in 1719. On the right hand side the former miller house.

Nederland - Beesel, 'De Grauwe Beer'

17 Jul 2013 40 8 2205
'De Grauwe Beer' (Grey Bear) is a so called 'belt mill' (a 'belt' is a man made hill). September 2014: the mill has been moved 50 meters further away from the river to protect it for possible floodings.

22 items in total