Jaap van 't Veen's photos with the keyword: Thorn

Nederland - Thorn, Kapel onder de Linden

09 Aug 2021 61 54 679
The Kapel onder de Linden (officially the Kapel van O.L.Vrouw van Loreto onder de Linden ) was built in 1673, commissioned by Canon Elisabeth of Manderscheidt-Blanckenheim from the Thorn Abbey . The chapel is a copy of the holy house in Nazareth, which, according to legend, was brought to the Italian town of Loreto by angels during a church persecution. The construction was supervised by master Willem Boyens, city architect of Roermond. In 1811, the chapel was extended westward with a higher section, while the confessional hall was added in 1898. In the interior of the chapel, the baroque stucco decorations from the end of the 17th century, the altar with the beautifully carved oak fence in baroque style and the painted medallions are particularly important. During the French occupation, the chapel was closed for several years. In 1797, the occupying forces decided that all church property would belong to the French state. When the French banned the church and the Catholic religion, the chapel had to be closed. In 1801 it could be used again for Catholic worship. Since its foundation, the chapel has always attracted many devotees of Mary. Processions from the surrounding villages to the chapel are still held to this day. The Kapel onder de Linden is open for visitors.

Nederland - Thorn, Sint-Michaëlskerk of Abdijkerk

06 Aug 2021 81 71 685
The Sint-Michaëlskerk or Abdijkerk (St. Michael's Church or Abbey Church) is a church building in Thorn (known as 'the white village' for its white-washed brick houses in the centre of town.). The history of Thorn - which starts at the end of the 10th century - is closely connected with that of a convent, which was founded around 975 as a noble Benedictine monastery by Count Ansfried van Teisterband and his wife Hilsonmdis. This convent evolved into a more secular foundation for ladies of high nobility, known as a “Stift”. Later it became the nucleus of the small principality of Thorn. The church was largely built in the 14th century and replaced an older structure. Laterr this Romanesque building was almost completely replaced by a Gothic house of worship. By the end of the 18th century a radical change to the abbey’s church interior is instigated: walls were painted white, a new marble floor was laid and the pillars were given new stuccoed capitals. The church received its current baroque interior. In 1785 the current high altar was re-installed – coming from a suppressed Roermond Carthusian monastery - in the church. After the French invasion in 1797 the “stift” was ablolished and almost all convent buildings were demolished. Solely the church is prreserved and fortwith serves as parish church for Thorn as Sint-Michaëlskerk . Famous architect Pierre Cuypers from Roermond restored the church at the end of the 19th century. Among other things, Cuypers had the eastern chapels demolished and the neogothic tower raised. The Sint-Michaëlskerk or Abdijkerk is listed in the 'Top 100 of Dutch heritage sites’. The church can be visted at a small fee.