Jaap van 't Veen's photos with the keyword: voorst
Nederland - Terwolde, ‘De Ooievaar’
16 May 2014 |
|
|
|
The current mill is the third one at this place. The first mill was a so called ‘grondzeiler’ with wings which came about two feet above the ground. The mill was built in 1854.by Abraham Ledeboer. Five years later the mill was sold to family Dieperink.
In 1896 the original mill was destroyed by fire. The second mill was a thatched stage mill and was used by the same family till the year of 1948, when it was bought by family Vorderman, well known millers in the region. In 1967, still in operation, the mill was restored for the first time.
Four years later the mill was destroyed again by fire. A local foundation took the initiative for rebuilding the windmill in Terwolde, 100 meters to the west of the old mill site. For the reconstruction the octagonal buck from the ‘Holtermansmolen’ from Deventer (most probably built in 1640 as a polder mill) was used.
In 1990 the reconstruction of ‘De Ooievaar’ (the Stork) was completed . Since then it houses one of the seven remaining operational flour mills in the Netherlands. But on 31 August 2015 the mill burned down again. Eearly May 2018- after the reconstruction - 'De Ooievaar' was opened to the public again.
Nederland - Voorst, Kasteel Nijenbeek
09 May 2014 |
|
|
|
Castle Nijenbeek was first mentioned in 1266, but most probably it was built around the year 1230 as a wooden keep, soon expanded into a stone castle and a fortified baily. First owner was Theodericus (Dirk), Lord of Nijenbeek. Its location on the banks of the river IJssel was very strategic, assuring control over the traffic on the river.
Early 16th century Castle Nijenbeek lost its strategic importance and the Gelrian Duke Karel van Egmond sold the castle. Shortly after 1533 it was adjusted for permanent habitation. During the Eighty Years' War Nijenbeek was considerably damaged due to a Spanish siege in 1585 and a siege by the Dutch troops a year later.
In 1672 the castle was used as headquarters by the State troops under the leadership of Johan Maurits van Nassau. The troops were supposed to prevent a French invasion over the IJssel. However the French occupied the entire region. Castle Nijenbeek, opposed to other castles, wasn't destroyed.
In the middle of the 18th century and in the following centuries the castle underwent several renovations. In 1945 the whole castle was shelled by Canadian troops because it was used by the German troops as a lookout post.
Despite emergency repairs, the roof finally caved in and the elements have taken their toll. All that remains of Castle Nijenbeek is a ruin that only can be viewed from a distance.
Nowadays (early 2014) there is a new plan to consolidate the present situation preventing a totally collapse of Nijenbeek,
Picture: the castle standing in the flooded floodplains of the river IJssel.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Jaap van 't Veen's latest photos with "voorst" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter