Jaap van 't Veen's photos with the keyword: friesland

Nederland - Veenklooster, Fogelsangh State

25 Mar 2014 32 16 2007
Fogelsangh State is built on the site where in the 12th century a monastery (Olijfberg – Mount of Olives) has stand. At the time of the Reformation (1580) the monastery, like all church property, was confiscated and ownership became to the Council of Friesland. In 1639 the building was bought by Theodorus van Fogelsangh and in 1646 it went to his brother Pibo, who named himself after his mother, Doma. In the 18th and 19th century the house was rebuilt several times, the last restoration dates from 2001 to 2003. Since its construction in 1646 the country estate is still private owned through inheritance by a member of the Harinxma thoe Slooten family. Fogelsangh State nowadays is a museum (part of the Friesland Museum) and houses, among other exhibits, the quite famous ‘Iddekinge porcelain collection’.

Nederland - Heerenveen, Crackstate

01 Mar 2014 31 18 2164
Most probably the first ‘state’ was built in the year of 1608 by a member of the Crack-family. On the same spot the present stately house was built in 1648 by Johannes Sytzes Crack, ‘grietman (a kind of mayor) of Aengwirden’. Architect was Willem de Keyser, son of the famous Dutch architect Hendrick de Keyser. The face of the building therefore has some similarity with the houses along the canals of Amsterdam. The building is surrounded by a moat. The bridge over the water dates - as specified on a bricked stone - from 1775. The port for the bridge comes away from the Frisian village of Horn and mentions the year 1819. Up to 1833 the house was the residence of the Crack family, when it became a public building, used as a court-house. From 1952 Crackstate is part of the town hall of the municipality of Heerenveen. It is located nearby the town centre.

Nederland - Friesland, Huize Oranjewoud

18 Nov 2013 48 16 2273
In 1664 the Frisian Nassau’s bought some heathland east of Heerenveen known as ‘t Wold’. The ‘village’ became its name 'Oranjewoud' ('Orange Forest' – Orange is the colour of the Dutch royal family) in the year of 1676, when Albertina Agnes, Prinses van Oranje Nassau, after the death of her husband Willem Frederik van Nassau - Stadtholder of Frisia - bought an existing country estate. Early 18th century her daughter-in-law Henriëtte Amalia van Anhalt-Dessau modernized the manor by (landscape) architect Marot (well known for the construction of Palace Het Loo nearby Apeldoorn). Marot designed two new wings for Oranjewoud, but the central building was never built. The architect also planned the gardens and park around the manor. During the French occupation, both wings were demolished and the property was sold. Two estates were built where the Stadtholder's country house had once stood: Oranjewoud at the site of the old castle and Oranjestein where the home of the steward had been. Various generations of the Oranje-Nassau family spent their summer at Oranjewoud. White plastered Huize Oranjewoud - built 1834 on the place of the former (royal) Palace Oranjewoud - is surrounded by a beautiful garden and a moat. It is private owned and it can not be visited. Opposite of the house is the entrance to the so called ‘Overtuin’ - see note - a lovely garden/park in English style.

Nederland - Katlijk, Thomaskerk

12 Nov 2013 42 18 2166
Katlijk (Ketlik in the Frisian language) is a tiny village nearby Heerenveen. It has a little charming old church called Thomaskerk (Thomastsjerke), which is dating back to 1525. The church is built of ‘rooswinkel’ bricks and has some heavy buttresses. The building stands on an artificial dwelling hill and is surrounded by a graveyard with some real old tombstones. It has no tower, but next to the church stands a so called ‘klokkenstoel’: a wooden bell tower, which is typical for the province of Friesland. The Thomaskerk is a wonderful example of simple beauty in a peaceful rural location.

Nederland - Veenwouden, Schierstins

30 Oct 2013 20 12 1971
The 'Schierstins' in Veenwouden is a medieval 'Stienhús' (stone house) built around the year of 1300 out of brick and is the only remaining 'Stienhús' in Friesland. The 'Schierstins' was first mentioned in 1439 on a piece of parchment.

Nederland - Jelsum, Dekema State

13 Aug 2013 26 9 1968
Dekema State: a country estate in the 14th century originally built as a fortified dwelling. Rebuilt many times till its last restoration in 2004.

Nederland - Kerk van Ferwoude

09 Aug 2013 32 9 1786
The church of Ferwoude (Ferwâlde) has been plastered in remarkable bright colours. The oldest parts date back from the second half of the 13th century. Reports tell that the church and tower were demolished in 1762 to sell the tuff stones to the cement industry in Makkum. The present church was built in 1767.

Nederland - Woudsend, De Jager

06 Aug 2013 96 20 3112
Sawmill (houtzaagmolen) De Jager is a typical Frisian mill, built most probably in 1719. On the right hand side the former miller house.

Nederland - Franeker, Martinikerk

07 Jun 2013 32 15 2066
Martinikerk (St. Martin's Church), dating back to 1421, has an impressive nave with a wooden vault and 30 slender columns. Many of these columns do have splendid frescoes of saints (see 'note')

Nederland - Bolsward, city hall

07 Jun 2013 19 2 1630
City hall of Bolsward, built between 1614 and 1617 by Bolsward craftsmen.

Nederland - Jelsum, Dekema State

02 Jun 2013 27 7 1688
Dekema State: drive way from the Dekemawei to the mansion with lime trees pruned like a candelabrum. (De oprijlaan met gecandelaberde linden, ook wel 'zwarte singel' genoemd'.)

Nederland - Sneek, Waterpoort

02 Jun 2013 15 4 1868
Sneek: Water gate (Waterpoort) seen from Hoogend.

Nederland - IJlst, De Rat

27 May 2013 147 52 3651
Sawmill (houtzaagmolen) De Rat in IJlst was originally built in the seventeenth century at Zaanstreek and moved to IJlst in 1828.