Erika+Manfred's photos with the keyword: Sligo

Streedagh Back Strand, Grange, Co. Sligo, Irland

22 Dec 2020 6 1 447
Dies sind die Reste einer spanischen Galeone, die nach der verlorenen Schlacht gegen die Engländer nach Norden flohen und hofften, an Schottland und Irland vorbei wieder Spanien zu erreichen. Durch einen heftigen Sturm wurden sie bei Grange an den Strand gespült und kenterten. Three ships belonging to the Spanish Armada were wrecked on Streedagh Beach in 1588. The armada was amassed to attack and if possible wipe out the English navy fleet. However subsequent to the decisive battle of Gravelines, a battle which the Spanish lost, the fleet fled north rounding Scotland and Ireland in the hope of returning to Spain. The ships were attempting to shelter from a ferocious Atlantic storm, however, given the severity of the weather they came aground and were wrecked. The sailors that landed at Streedagh were massacred by English troops garrisoned in Sligo, however, some survived through a mixture of good fortune and assistance from some of the Irish chieftains of the area. Captain De Cuellar's account of his experience of these events is an extremely significant piece of social history and his epic journey back to his homeland is commemorated to this day as part of the Celtic Fringe Festival, held in Grange each June. The carboniferous limestone rocks at Streedagh contain many species of fossil coral. Zaphrentis are particularly common here, formed about four hundred million years ago. (Quelle: Wikipedia)

Sligo, Co. Sligo, Irland

Old Abbey, Sligo, Irland

18 Feb 2015 424
Die Abtei von Sligo (irisch Mainistir Shligigh, englisch Sligo Abbey) im Nordwesten der Republik Irland wurde 1253 im Auftrag von Maurice Fitzgerald, dem Baron von Offaly und Stadtgründer von Sligo errichtet. 1414 wurde sie durch ein Feuer zerstört, und 1595 wurde sie während des Kriegs von Tyrone (heute in Nordirland) verheerend verwüstet. Ein weiteres Mal wurde sie während des Aufstandes von Ulster zerstört. Die Mönche verließen die Abtei im 18. Jahrhundert; Lord Palmerston restaurierte sie in den 1850ern. Heutzutage ist sie der Öffentlichkeit zugänglich. Die Ruinen der Abtei zeigen eine Fülle von Bildhauereien. Es werden Grabsteine aus der Gotik und der Renaissance gezeigt, ebenso wie ein gut erhaltener Kreuzgang. Höhepunkt ist der bildhauerisch bearbeitete Hochaltar aus dem 15. Jahrhundert, der einzige, der aus dieser Epoche in Irland noch erhalten ist. Sligo Abbey (Irish: Mainistir Shligigh), a ruined abbey in Sligo, Ireland, (officially called the Dominican Friary of Sligo) was originally built in 1253 by the order of Maurice Fitzgerald, Baron of Offaly. It was destroyed in 1414 by a fire, ravaged during the Nine Years' War in 1595 and once more in 1641 during the Ulster Uprising. The friars moved out in the 18th century, but Lord Palmerston restored the Abbey in the 1850s. Currently, it is open to the public. © Wikipedia