
Raasay Ironstone Mines and Processing Works
Folder: Mining and quarrying
Photos of the remains of the ironstone mines and processing plant on the Inner Hebrides island of Raasay
Raasay: No.1 Ironstone Mine adit entrance (intake) 3
Raasay Ironstone Mine and Processing Works
A photo taken through the steel grille across the intake adit entrance of the Raasay No.1 Ironstone Mine, taken in April 2019. The concrete block walls extend just a short distance in, thereafter it is natural stone with few supports. There were two entrances for the No.1 Mine; this one allowed fresh air into the mine and was the main haulage road for ore. The link below shows the mine entrance in 1917.
The other adit for return (exhaust) air and its ventilation fan was located a short distance away.
Background
The two adits of Raasay No.1 ironstone Mine were situated about 2.5 km north of East Suisnish pier and worked the Jurassic (Upper Lias) age siderite and chamosite ores from 1914 to 1920. The mine was owned and developed by William Baird & Co. who also built the terraces of houses in the village of Inverarish to house the mine workers, many of whom were German prisoners of war. A tramway and incline connected the mine to the processing works (crusher, calcining kilns, gantries, loading hoppers) at East Suisnish.
A second pair of mine adits (Raasay No.2 Ironstone Mine) just north of Inverarish were also opened up around the same time but never went into proper production due to geological difficulties (faulting).
There was also a small amount of opencast outcrop mining carried out near the No.1 Mine, again around the same time.
The works were dismantled by 1943 but the site is now a scheduled protected monument.
A view of the No.1 Mine in 1917 is here:
geoscenic.bgs.ac.uk/asset-bank/action/viewAsset?id=1338
Raasay: No.1 Ironstone Mine adit entrance (intake) 2
Raasay Ironstone Mine and Processing Works
A closer view of the intake adit entrance of the Raasay No.1 Ironstone Mine, taken in April 2019. There were two entrances for the No.1 Mine; this one allowed fresh air into the mine and was the main haulage road for ore. The link below shows the mine entrance in 1917.
The other adit for return (exhaust) air and its ventilation fan was located a short distance away.
Background
The two adits of Raasay No.1 ironstone Mine were situated about 2.5 km north of East Suisnish pier and worked the Jurassic (Upper Lias) age siderite and chamosite ores from 1914 to 1920. The mine was owned and developed by William Baird & Co. who also built the terraces of houses in the village of Inverarish to house the mine workers, many of whom were German prisoners of war. A tramway and incline connected the mine to the processing works (crusher, calcining kilns, gantries, loading hoppers) at East Suisnish.
A second pair of mine adits (Raasay No.2 Ironstone Mine) just north of Inverarish were also opened up around the same time but never went into proper production due to geological difficulties (faulting).
There was also a small amount of opencast outcrop mining carried out near the No.1 Mine, again around the same time.
The works were dismantled by 1943 but the site is now a scheduled protected monument.
A view of the No.1 Mine in 1917 is here:
geoscenic.bgs.ac.uk/asset-bank/action/viewAsset?id=1338
Raasay: No.1 Ironstone Mine adit entrance (intake) 1
Raasay Ironstone Mine and Processing Works
This is the intake adit entrance of the Raasay No.1 Ironstone Mine, taken in April 2019. There were two entrances for the No.1 Mine; this one allowed fresh air into the mine and was the main haulage road for ore. The link below shows the mine entrance in 1917.
The other adit for return (exhaust) air and its ventilation fan was located a short distance away.
Background
The two adits of Raasay No.1 ironstone Mine were situated about 2.5 km north of East Suisnish pier and worked the Jurassic (Upper Lias) age siderite and chamosite ores from 1914 to 1920. The mine was owned and developed by William Baird & Co. who also built the terraces of houses in the village of Inverarish to house the mine workers, many of whom were German prisoners of war. A tramway and incline connected the mine to the processing works (crusher, calcining kilns, gantries, loading hoppers) at East Suisnish.
A second pair of mine adits (Raasay No.2 Ironstone Mine) just north of Inverarish were also opened up around the same time but never went into proper production due to geological difficulties (faulting).
There was also a small amount of opencast outcrop mining carried out near the No.1 Mine, again around the same time.
The works were dismantled by 1943 but the site is now a scheduled protected monument.
A view of the No.1 Mine in 1917 is here:
geoscenic.bgs.ac.uk/asset-bank/action/viewAsset?id=1338
Raasay: No.1 Ironstone Mine tramway with silver birches
Raasay Ironstone Mine and Processing Works
Just north of the viaduct in the previous photos, the No.1 Mine tramway is now overgrown with an attractive double lining of silver birch trees.
Background
The two adits of Raasay No.1 ironstone Mine were situated about 2.5 km north of East Suisnish pier and worked the Jurassic (Upper Lias) age siderite and chamosite ores from 1914 to 1920. The mine was owned and developed by William Baird & Co. who also built the terraces of houses in the village of Inverarish to house the mine workers, many of whom were German prisoners of war. A tramway and incline connected the mine to the processing works (crusher, calcining kilns, gantries, loading hoppers) at East Suisnish.
A second pair of mine adits (Raasay No.2 Ironstone Mine) just north of Inverarish were also opened up around the same time but never went into proper production due to geological difficulties (faulting).
There was also a small amount of opencast outcrop mining carried out near the No.1 Mine, again around the same time.
The works were dismantled by 1943 but the site is now a scheduled protected monument.
A view of the works in 1917 is here:
geoscenic.bgs.ac.uk/asset-bank/action/viewAsset?id=1343
Raasay: No.1 Mine tramway viaduct and tributary burn
Raasay Ironstone Mine and Processing Works
The No.1 Mine tramway had to cross the steep sided valley of a tributary of the Inverarish Burn on an impressive viaduct before heading south towards the processing plant at East Suisnish. Only the concrete support piers remain today. This is a view from the west.
Background
The two adits of Raasay No.1 ironstone Mine were situated about 2.5 km north of East Suisnish pier and worked the Jurassic (Upper Lias) age siderite and chamosite ores from 1914 to 1920. The mine was owned and developed by William Baird & Co. who also built the terraces of houses in the village of Inverarish to house the mine workers, many of whom were German prisoners of war. A tramway and incline connected the mine to the processing works (crusher, calcining kilns, gantries, loading hoppers) at East Suisnish.
A second pair of mine adits (Raasay No.2 Ironstone Mine) just north of Inverarish were also opened up around the same time but never went into proper production due to geological difficulties (faulting).
There was also a small amount of opencast outcrop mining carried out near the No.1 Mine, again around the same time.
The works were dismantled by 1943 but the site is now a scheduled protected monument.
A view of the works in 1917 is here:
geoscenic.bgs.ac.uk/asset-bank/action/viewAsset?id=1343
Raasay: No.1 Mine tramway viaduct - north pier
Raasay Ironstone Mine and Processing Works
The No.1 Mine tramway had to cross the steep sided valley of a tributary of the Inverarish Burn on an impressive viaduct before heading south towards the processing plant at East Suisnish. Only the concrete support piers remain today. This is a view of the northern pier.
Background
The two adits of Raasay No.1 ironstone Mine were situated about 2.5 km north of East Suisnish pier and worked the Jurassic (Upper Lias) age siderite and chamosite ores from 1914 to 1920. The mine was owned and developed by William Baird & Co. who also built the terraces of houses in the village of Inverarish to house the mine workers, many of whom were German prisoners of war. A tramway and incline connected the mine to the processing works (crusher, calcining kilns, gantries, loading hoppers) at East Suisnish.
A second pair of mine adits (Raasay No.2 Ironstone Mine) just north of Inverarish were also opened up around the same time but never went into proper production due to geological difficulties (faulting).
There was also a small amount of opencast outcrop mining carried out near the No.1 Mine, again around the same time.
The works were dismantled by 1943 but the site is now a scheduled protected monument.
A view of the works in 1917 is here:
geoscenic.bgs.ac.uk/asset-bank/action/viewAsset?id=1343
Raasay: No.1 Mine tramway viaduct piers
Raasay Ironstone Mine and Processing Works
The No.1 Mine tramway had to cross the steep sided valley of a tributary of the Inverarish Burn on an impressive viaduct before heading south towards the processing plant at East Suisnish. Only the concrete support piers remain today.
Background
The two adits of Raasay No.1 ironstone Mine were situated about 2.5 km north of East Suisnish pier and worked the Jurassic (Upper Lias) age siderite and chamosite ores from 1914 to 1920. The mine was owned and developed by William Baird & Co. who also built the terraces of houses in the village of Inverarish to house the mine workers, many of whom were German prisoners of war. A tramway and incline connected the mine to the processing works (crusher, calcining kilns, gantries, loading hoppers) at East Suisnish.
A second pair of mine adits (Raasay No.2 Ironstone Mine) just north of Inverarish were also opened up around the same time but never went into proper production due to geological difficulties (faulting).
There was also a small amount of opencast outcrop mining carried out near the No.1 Mine, again around the same time.
The works were dismantled by 1943 but the site is now a scheduled protected monument.
A view of the works in 1917 is here:
geoscenic.bgs.ac.uk/asset-bank/action/viewAsset?id=1343
Raasay: Tramway junction
Raasay Ironstone Mine and Processing Works
This is the point where the No.2 Mine tramway joins the No.1 Mine tramway before heading south towards the processing plant at East Suisnish. The ruined building is the remains of the No.2 tramway winding house. The mountains of Skye are in the distance.
Background
The two adits of Raasay No.1 ironstone Mine were situated about 2.5 km north of East Suisnish pier and worked the Jurassic (Upper Lias) age siderite and chamosite ores from 1914 to 1920. The mine was owned and developed by William Baird & Co. who also built the terraces of houses in the village of Inverarish to house the mine workers, many of whom were German prisoners of war. A tramway and incline connected the mine to the processing works (crusher, calcining kilns, gantries, loading hoppers) at East Suisnish.
A second pair of mine adits (Raasay No.2 Ironstone Mine) just north of Inverarish were also opened up around the same time but never went into proper production due to geological difficulties (faulting).
There was also a small amount of opencast outcrop mining carried out near the No.1 Mine, again around the same time.
The works were dismantled by 1943 but the site is now a scheduled protected monument.
A view of the works in 1917 is here:
geoscenic.bgs.ac.uk/asset-bank/action/viewAsset?id=1343
The No.2 Mine entrances in 1917 are shown here:
geoscenic.bgs.ac.uk/asset-bank/action/viewAsset?id=1341
Raasay: No.2 Mine tramway view from winding house interior
Raasay Ironstone Mine and Processing Works
This is a view from the No.2 Mine tramway winding house, The tramway and shallow incline runs parallel to the modern fence to the No.2 Mine which was situated in the wooded area in the distance.
Background
The two adits of Raasay No.1 ironstone Mine were situated about 2.5 km north of East Suisnish pier and worked the Jurassic (Upper Lias) age siderite and chamosite ores from 1914 to 1920. The mine was owned and developed by William Baird & Co. who also built the terraces of houses in the village of Inverarish to house the mine workers, many of whom were German prisoners of war. A tramway and incline connected the mine to the processing works (crusher, calcining kilns, gantries, loading hoppers) at East Suisnish.
A second pair of mine adits (Raasay No.2 Ironstone Mine) just north of Inverarish were also opened up around the same time but never went into proper production due to geological difficulties (faulting).
There was also a small amount of opencast outcrop mining carried out near the No.1 Mine, again around the same time.
The works were dismantled by 1943 but the site is now a scheduled protected monument.
A view of the works in 1917 is here:
geoscenic.bgs.ac.uk/asset-bank/action/viewAsset?id=1343
The No.2 Mine entrances in 1917 are shown here:
geoscenic.bgs.ac.uk/asset-bank/action/viewAsset?id=1341
Jump to top
RSS feed- Latest items - Subscribe to the latest items added to this album
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter